Major redesign makes Arkansas the first state to launch geolocation widgets
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – May 19, 2011 – The State of Arkansas has unveiled a new redesign of its official state website, Arkansas.gov, that introduces cutting-edge technology and places Arkansas in the forefront of state websites. The new site (http://www.arkansas.gov) not only showcases the beauty of the Natural State’s six geographic regions, but also incorporates first-of-its-kind technology, allowing the state to effectively deliver agency information and online services for today’s devices and a new generation of citizens accessing state services.
“The state of Arkansas has always been committed to innovation and delivering our services in a way that is unique to our state,” said Claire Bailey, Arkansas’s Chief Technology Officer. “We’re using cutting-edge technology that customizes a geolocation user-experience and plans ahead for the rapid growth of mobile technology.”
Each month mobile transactions on the state’s website have increased by more than 15 percent. This trend drove the website redesign emphasis on mobile functionality. In addition to a new fully mobile-optimized Arkansas.gov, it is the first state website to use Text4help, a new customer service support function using text messaging technology.
- eGov Services Geolocation Widget – This innovative, first-of-its- kind widget allows local and community websites to embed code for state, county and city online services within their own websites. This feature is a free download and pushes eGovernment services to community websites where people are most often engaged, and help local entities better serve the needs of their citizens.
- Text4help and new fully mobile optimized Arkansas.gov – Arkansas.gov’s mobile portal has been expanded, with the entire website fully mobile optimized. Arkansas.gov has evolved the online chat customer support technology by becoming the first state government to implement Text4help. This new technology provides online support to mobile devices through text messaging technology and is included in the mobile portal, as well as any mobile-enhanced service such as the YOUniversal Financial Aid Scholarship System.
- Smart Search – Prominently placed Smart Search displays results of online services, agencies, people, and all content of Arkansas.gov in one user-friendly display area.
- Geolocation Services Near Me Section – Near Me displays jobs, services, government offices, as well as maps based on the user’s current location.
- Mobile Optimized Payment Solution – Expansion of the nation’s first secure mobile payment solution is designed to serve Arkansans on the go. Twenty-eight Arkansas counties now offer mobile property tax payments.
- eGov This Week Transparency Carousel – This section streams real-time metrics of eGovernment activity for popular Arkansas.gov online services (e.g., “4,200 Arkansans applied for financial aid this week”).
- New Design – A streamlined home page simplifies the presentation of information, provides easy access to online services and government information, and highlights the beauty of the Natural State. Arkansas photographers are invited to submit photos for use in the new photo gallery.
- Focus and Feature Fly-out Panels – These panels feature timely services and group focused content by business, citizen, and social media services.
“We recognize that citizens and businesses access information from a variety of devices, websites, and locations.” said Janet Grard, Arkansas.gov Portal Manager. “New technologies allow us to push government services to places where Arkansans are most often engaged, such as a community or city website, Facebook and Twitter, or on a mobile device.”
The new Arkansas.gov website (http://www.arkansas.gov) offers an easy, convenient, and cost-effective way for Arkansans to access services and conduct business with Arkansas state, county and local government entities. Delivering over 1,000 services, Arkansas.gov is the single, comprehensive online resource that makes government available to Arkansans anytime, anywhere from any internet enabled device.
- Full access to government information and online services with first of its kind, Text4help text messaging available
- Easy-to-use site specifically designed for your mobile screen
- Locate services specific to your area and government offices near you with mapping feature
Arkansas.gov is the official Web site of the state of Arkansas (http://www.arkansas.gov) and a service of the Information Network of Arkansas. The Information Network of Arkansas is a collaborative effort between the state of Arkansas and the Arkansas Information Consortium that helps state government entities Web-enable their information services. Little Rock-based Arkansas Information Consortium is part of eGovernment firm NIC’s (NASDAQ: EGOV) family of companies.
Twitter – @arkansasgov – http://twitter.com/arkansasgov
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Arkansas.gov
Suggested tags: government, egovernment, egov, technology, web 2.0, gov 2.0, mobile, secure mobile payments